Sunday, April 18, 2010

Quotable Sunday - Proverbs

Quotable Sunday I thought I'd link up today with A Daily Dose of Toni for her Quotable Sunday.  I've been reading in the book of Proverbs for my daily quiet time with the Lord this week, and there are so many interesting things that Proverbs addresses concerning the wise and the foolish.  Here are some of the quotes from Proverbs that have stood out to me just from chapters 17 and 18.

Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends. - Prov. 17:9

A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding than a hundred blows into a fool. - Prov. 17:10

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.  - Prov. 18:2

A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating. A fool's mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul. - Prov. 18:6-7

You can't read Proverbs for very long and not be convicted over your pride.  Many of the warnings given about the fool and his behavior are because of his prideful heart. 

The fool doesn't cover offenses.  He is highly opinionated and has no room to hear what anyone has to say about a matter.  He is always ready to pick a fight, and the things he speaks will get him into trouble every time.

I don't want any of those foolish things to be said of me.  I need to evaluate how much of my responses fall under the label of "fool", confess them, and humble myself under God's Word. 

Have a worship-filled and restful Sunday.

  

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.