Monday, April 26, 2010

Memory Monday - 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

Memory Monday I came across a verse this morning in my quiet time that struck a chord with me.  It's in a passage that I'm familiar with, both having been counseled by it and counseling other people with it. 

The reason it really hit me today is because it deals with affliction and looking beyond my temporary circumstances.  I've been afflicted for some time in a particularly hard circumstance, as well as some other various circumstances in my relationships and church ministry. 

Affliction hurts, and it doesn't feel light.  But the apostle Paul calls affliction "light" when viewed through eternity.  He exhorts us to look ahead to the future glory and not focus on these temporary circumstances because they are just that.  Temporary.  That's hard.

I need God to renew my mind with the truth of His Word, so I guess that's why I'm choosing these scriptures to memorize this week.  In all honesty, I'd rather memorize something else...something easier to soak up.  But I need this.

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

*Are you memorizing God's Word this week?  Want to join in Memory Monday?  Go over to The Simple Wife and link up with her.

  

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I memorized that verse a few weeks ago, and I thought the same thing: my afflictions don't always feel LIGHT to me. But yes, in view of eternity, they are indeed small. May we both keep looking forward and up!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I love your honesty that you'd rather memorize something else but that you recognize that this is what you need. That's wisdom!

    Praying for your speaking!

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.