Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kitty's Okay?

I apologize up front for what I'm about to share if you don't like blogs about pets.  I just want to share this one thing about our cat Bailey.  He's a 12-year-old tabby, and he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February.  He was tossing his kitty kibble a lot and losing weight. 

He was put on medicine that has to be given twice a day for the rest of his life, but we didn't believe it was doing the job for him.  He's been tossing his kitty kibble at least 3 times a day within an hour of each episode, and typically even once in the middle of the night every night.

We began to believe that his days were probably numbered, and we were going to call the vet back to see if his time was up.

Rich did a check on the internet, though, and read that the medicine we give him is very bitter and really should be administered with some food or milk.  He started crushing it into milk, and Bailey drinks it up easily. 

Guess what!  No kitty kibble tossing for 2 days straight!!!  You have no idea what a true feat that is in our house.  The little guy seems to even have perked up, too.  I can't imagine what all the wretching day after day would do to a cat's stomach muscles.  No wonder he seems to be in a better mood.

I just had to share that little bit of praise coming from our home.

  

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. OH good! I am so happy to hear that your kitty is better. I love it when the solution is simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a cat fan, but I can sympathize. I had hyper-thyroidism a lonnnggg time ago when I was a junior in highschool. Symptoms were similar, losing weight, bug eyed and extremely hyper unable to concentrate, relax or sleep. Usually, in humans hypo-thyroidism is accompanied by lethargy and gaining weight, but I guess for felines it can be different. I'm so glad baby kitty is feeling better!! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.