Thursday, March 03, 2011

Sin

Last night I taught the lesson at Olympians club, and it was about the shame of sin and its consequences. We need to deal with sin right away, or it will pile up and get way out of hand if we don't repent. It will hurt us, and it will hurt other people.

I was sharing with my group of girls during discipleship time about how I have struggled with sinful thoughts in the last month that God has been dealing with me about, and that I believe I finally surrendered to Him this morning and repented. One of the girls gasped and said, I can't picture you ever sinning. Well, I wish that were the case, but unfortunately I was born with a sin nature along with the rest of mankind. I assured her I do sin. A lot.

On the one hand, I am thankful that my students don't seem to see glaring sin when they watch me. I desire to live as an example for them. Oh, but I know my heart, and it's full of wickedness. The Lord keeps showing me just how wicked. I think if they were to follow me around for just one day, it wouldn't take very long for them to see my ugly.

You see, I'm selfish. I gossip and slander. I love to put myself first. I snap at people. I'm lazy. I love to judge and point out other people's sin. Shall I keep going? I'm a pretty pitiful and hopeless mess, yeah? You too?

Aren't we thankful for Jesus, though? His perfect life, His perfect deeds are now mine. When I took Him as my Savior, He became my substitute both in life and death. He took my sin, and He gave me His righteousness.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.... - Ephesians 1:7 (NKJV)

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  - 1 John 1:9 (NKJV)

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.  - 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NKJV)

We should let that truth sink in for a bit and praise Him for His wonderful grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.