Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Ministry of Prayer

At our church's missions conference last week we were encouraged to adopt one of our supported missionary families.  Adopting them would involve praying for them every day, keeping in contact with them by mail or email, staying informed about what's happening in their lives, and bringing any prayer needs to the pastor that he may not be aware of.  Basically, we need to get personal with them.

I have been very remiss about praying for missionaries.  I sometimes will pray for needs that are mentioned in their letters that come through the office, but not on my own during my personal daily prayer time.

As I've done a complete overhaul on my daily prayer time and have become more systematic in my approach (which I may explain at a later time), I knew I would be able to add at least one missionary to my daily prayer list.  So I decided to get involved in this "adoption" ministry.

I chose a missionary who is a single woman ministering with church planters in Australia, as well as teaching scripture classes at a local school, among various other things.  We happen to share the same first name, which is kind of cool.  I sent her an introductory email, and she has already responded. 

I'm looking forward to getting to know her and having a part in her ministry through something as basic as prayer.  I know prayer will affect not only her, but me as well as I get to share in the joy of  God working in her and through her this year.  I'm anticipating good things ahead.

Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ...that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. 

Colossians 4:2-4 (NKJV)

Liz

Did you enjoy this post? Consider subscribing to my feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.