Thursday, April 02, 2009

Treadmill Boredom

I'm sure most of my readers are aware now that I'm working on getting healthy with diet and exercise.  The exercise that's easiest for me is walking on the treadmill.  That's where I'm at right now.  My activity will move outside once the weather turns warm.  For now, I remain inside.

At least one reader had commented that they get bored on the treadmill, so they'd rather not use it.  I used to feel that way too, which means there are probably others who fall into that camp as well.  So I thought I'd tell you how I keep myself occupied while I'm walking for 30-40 minutes.

To preface my suggestions, I need to mention that having a CD player, mp3 player, or a laptop is necessary in order to use my tips.  If you only have a CD player or mp3 player, you won't be able to implement all these ideas, but a couple of options is better than none.

My first choice of diversion is found at Hulu.com.  They have a variety of TV programs, both new and old, that can be watched on the internet for free.  FREE!  You'd be surprised what's availableThey continue to add new shows all the time, too.

The next diversion option is listening to sermons.  There are websites like OnePlace.com that have streaming audio of a variety of well-known teachers and pastors that can be downloaded onto your computer and put onto an mp3 player, if you choose.  These are free as well.

Another option would be to read.  I would choose this activity, if it didn't make me nauseous.  I've tried a couple times, but it isn't compatible with my oddball vertigo issues.  The reason I like this idea is because you can kill two birds with one stone.  Some people may find it difficult to fit reading into their schedule, so you could make your 30-minute walk a great time to read a book and increase productivity.

The last suggestion I have is to listen to audiobooks.  There are monthly club plans available online for a fee, but it's just as easy to borrow them from your local public library for free.  I am currently trying out this idea to see if it works for me.

Are there any treadmill walkers/runners who have ideas for the readers?  You may have thought of something to do that hasn't crossed my mind yet.  Feel free to share in the comments section.

Did you enjoy this post? Consider subscribing to my feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.