Friday, January 02, 2009

To Know Him

As I have anticipated the new year coming, the last few days I've been mulling over what I ought to set as goals for 2009.  One goal continues to be at the forefront of my mind because of various situations prompting me, and it is to become disciplined about reading.  Specifically, choosing to do more theological reading.

The best idea and most straight forward plan is to read 10 pages a day.  That would provide a constant flow of biblical truth to meditate on, with the intent of spurring me on in spiritual growth.  I know I always feel spiritually dry when I go weeks upon weeks without reading books apart from my Bible reading at quiet time, so setting this as a goal would benefit me tremendously.

I thought I'd make a short list of what I intend to read.  Put it in writing, so to speak.  The plan is to read a minimum of 10 pages each day, if not more.  Here are the books I have in mind to get me started:

Let's Start With Jesus  (by Dennis F. Kinlaw)  - This is already in progress, so I'm counting it in my new year's plan.

Because He Loves Me  (by Elyse Fitzpatrick)

Love, The Ultimate Apologetic  (by Art Lindsley)

The Fear Factor  (by Wayne Mack & Joshua Mack)

Future Grace  (by John Piper)

Suffering and the Sovereignty of God  (by John Piper and Justin Taylor) - This is already in progress, but I haven't touched it in weeks.

I would also like to read something from Ravi Zacharias, and I'm pretty sure I have a friend who can hook me up with one or two of his books.  *Hint...hint, friend.*

I'm looking forward to the learning that's ahead for me this year.  I love it when I discover new things about God that I have never seen before.  I want to know Him.

2 Peter 1:2-4a Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature....

------------------------------------------------------------------*Updated to add that as I finish these books I will be listing the titles/authors over in my sidebar.  That way you can see what I've completed and have quick access to them, in case you might just like to join in on my reading adventure, too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that you're doing this. It can get discouraging before you really get into a habit, but keep pressing on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.