Thursday, January 08, 2009

Reading. It's a Good Thing.

Remember the new goal I set for 2009 of reading 10 pages of theology a day?  I just love it.  And when I say reading theology, please don't think that's as deep and profound and stuffy as it sounds.  I'm just reading books about God and spiritual growth.

I'm finding there are a handful of benefits resulting from this exercise... 

#1: I look forward to my reading time because I know I'm going to learn something else about God and my relationship to Him that I didn't know before.  Sort of like going on an adventure.  The book I'm adventuring through now, Let's Start With Jesus, has been amazing.  I'm seeing God's love in a whole new light, and light bulbs are coming on for me concerning the command to love others.

#2: I am reaping the very result I had anticipated - an ongoing meditation over the spiritual truths I'm reading.  I enjoy the thought processing and putting together the new stuff I'm reading with the truths I've previously learned.  Making those connections is a treat. 

#3: I really enjoy time spent with my friends, discussing what I'm learning and then in turn listening to what they're learning in their studies.  Often the Lord puts it all together, and we find that what each of us is studying separately meshes beautifully.  I thrive on these discussions.

To be honest, I've cut way back on my blog reading in the last week, and the book reading has easily taken priority.  I'm feeling content that this is the direction God has sent me in.  How I look forward to the next book!

What are you reading?  Leave a comment and tell me about it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it's working out for you! As far as my theological reading goes, I'm reading The God Who is There by Francis Shaeffer. I'm really enjoying it, though it is somewhat dated. Still, it's quite relevant today, if not more than it was then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 100% right there with ya.

    Seriously, I have felt called to really dive deeply into God's word, so the old computer has taken a back seat.

    I JUST blogged about an AWESOME resource, in fact. You may want to check it out if you get a minute since it may meet a need in your study!

    Wonderful to see other sisters really diving as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT GREAT GREAT goal!!! I think we should all have a little more book reading in our lives!

    :)
    ~Tabitha~

    freshmommyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goal for 2009! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.