Monday, November 12, 2007

Longing For the Glory

One of my favorite songs is Glory, sung by Selah. The words describe the longing of my heart.

One day eyes that are blind will see You clearly.
One day all who deny will finally believe.
One day hearts made of stone will break in pieces.
And one day chains once unbroken will fall down at Your feet.

So we wait… for that one day.
Come quickly!

We want to see Your glory,
Every knee falls down before Thee.
Every tongue offers You praise
With every hand raised.
Singing glory to You and unto You only
We’ll sing glory to Your name.

One day voices that lie will all be silenced.
One day all that’s divided will be whole again.
One day death will retreat and wave its white flag.
One day love will defeat the strongest enemy.

So we wait… for that one day.
Come quickly!

We want to see Your glory,
Every knee falls down before Thee.
Every tongue offers You praise
With every hand raised.
Singing glory to You and unto You only
We’ll sing glory to Your name.

We know not the day or the hour
Or the moments in between,
But we know the end of the story
When we’ll see…

Your glory
Every knee falls down before Thee.
Every tongue offers You praise with every hand raised.
Singing glory to You and unto You only
We’ll sing glory to Your name.

As I've been reading through the Old Testament, I've gained such a better understanding of our sinful idolatry and how much God wants us to forsake this sin. He is a jealous God, wanting our worship to be purely undivided. Oh, how He deserves that!

The Bible tells us that one day "every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord". I'm thankful I can do that this side of death because it secures a place for me in Heaven. Some will not bow the knee now. They deny. They are blinded. They lie.

Even as a Christian I struggle to bow the knee to my Lord. I have idols in my heart that fight for my affections that should be God's alone. My problem is Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." I fall short of the glory of God, but I want the glory... to see His glory. That's what I'm longing for. Romans 8:18-23 says that we groan with all of creation for the revealing of the sons of God and for the redemption of our body. We are groaning for the glory!

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

I can't wait for Christ's return to be delivered from this body of death and this sin-wracked world. I want to see the glory!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.