Thursday, September 02, 2010

Only the Name Has Been Changed

51YXA- vJpL._SL160_ Someone had recommended the book Hinds' Feet on High Places (by Hannah Hurnard) to me several years ago.  I've had it in the back of my mind and thought about it from time to time. 

Would you believe I've never read an allegory?  Nope.  Not even Pilgrim's Progress.

I was able to get my hands on a copy last week, and I've been reading it a little at a time.  What a sweet story! 

The main character is Much-Afraid, and I can't believe how much I identify with her.  Poor little thing!  She really is a pitiable little gal.  So much like us, hmm?

I'm telling you, this story could've been written about my spiritual life.  It's as if someone has secretly been following me around and observing all my victorious moments and the times I've cried in secret defeat.  Then they wrote it all down in a fairytale-type story (changing my name for privacy's sake, of course).  Although, it's no fairytale.  It's really true to a Christian's daily spiritual walk.

There are so many sweet passages throughout the story.  I wanted to share one quote that particularly spoke to me today.

You may think that Much-Afraid was altogether too much given to shedding tears, but remember that she had Sorrow for a companion and teacher.  There is this to be added, that her tears were all in secret, for no one but her enemies knew about this strange journey on which she had set out.  The heart knoweth its own sorrow and there are times when, like David, it is comforting to think that our tears are put in a bottle and not one of them forgotten by the one who leads us in paths of sorrow.

I just liked that.  I think I'm often ashamed of my tears, but tears are part of the journey.  They make us cling tighter to the Shepherd and long for Him more, don't they?

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful you are getting to read Hinds Feet on High Places. I have read it a couple of times and each time the Lord showed me different things about myself. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.