Friday, September 10, 2010

How Do I Love Thee? by Nancy Moser

How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History, book #4)How Do I Love Thee? by Nancy Moser

This is the story of the poet, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and her secret romance with Robert Browning. Being a 39 year old invalid bound to her room, she enjoys the pleasure of correspondence with writers. When faced with the opportunities to meet her correspondents face to face, her reclusiveness causes her to battle fear of people and the outside world constantly. But then Robert Browning writes her a letter, and her life changes forever.

The title, taken from one of her sonnets, is quite appropriate as Elizabeth struggles to understand what true love is. How is true love demonstrated, both romantically or otherwise?

I loved, loved, loved this book. It will probably go down as one of my favorites of all time. I could identify with Elizabeth's fears and her desire to please her father. I found myself wanting to tell her what to do every time she tried to commit to a decision, even though I could feel her emotion in her struggle to do the right thing.

So this one gets 5 stars from me. I highly recommend it to those who like historical fiction based on true-life people and events. If you like poets and poetry, you'll appreciate it even more.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.