Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer

In Every Heartbeat

In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer is the story of Libby Conley and her friends Pete and Bennett.  They are off to attend college together after having grown up in an orphanage.  As each one pursues their own ambitions, they struggle with the different directions those ambitions seem to be taking them.  They quickly learn that adulthood brings changes and choices, and they wonder if they will be able to remain friends.

It was an enjoyable story in that it contained a little romance, talked about the importance of family relationships, and the endurance of friendship.  I wanted to love the book, but something just didn't work for me.  I had read and loved the previous book My Heart Remembers, but this book didn't capture my interest as much.

One thing that I kept questioning was when World War I would be introduced into the story.  The synopsis made me believe the plot would somehow involve the war, and I think maybe that's what I was really anticipating as I read.  Not so.  It seemed to be introduced nearly 70 pages from the end and had very little to do with the plot of this book.  That struck me as a little odd.

The other thing that felt a little "off" to me was one of the character's conversion experience.  It seemed a bit abrupt, as if all of the sudden in a crisis the character knew they needed God, and they prayed a salvation prayer.  In addition, their behavior and thinking changed dramatically in  a short time, and I guess that didn't seem truly realistic to me.  Although, it made for a nice, tidy ending.

I rate this book with 3 stars.  It was a good story, just not exceptional in my opinion.

I thank Bethany House Publishers for sending me a free copy of the book to review.  This review is solely my opinion, and I was not required to write a favorable review.

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.