Monday, June 02, 2008

Pressing Forward

I've been wanting to tell you about something, but since I'm not very good at following through on exercise commitments, I decided not to tell anybody about it until I had a few days under my belt.  I am off to a good start, so I guess now is as good a time as any.

I started a new training schedule for my running last week.  I've been reading The Complete Book of Running for Women, and there is a training schedule in it that was taken from Runner's World magazine.  Since I can already walk several laps and can run at short intervals, it looked like something I could jump into.  It's a 30-minute walk/run plan that will eventually get me to a level of 30 minutes of straight running.

I started off the first week with four days of running for 2 minutes and walking for 4 minutes.  I did that five times, which equaled 30 minutes.  I did get some extra walking time in there for warming up and cooling down.  I have been surprised by how quickly my body adapted to it.  Today was my last day at that level.  On Wednesday, I will increase to five sets of 3 minutes running and 3 minutes walking. 

Don't you love it when you are so close to reaching a goal, you can almost taste it?  There was a day when it took every ounce of sweat (and tears) to be able to run for 1 minute.  Just ONE MINUTE.  I walked away depressed and defeated, yet I just kept going out running, setting aside the sports watch for the time-being.  But now a new goal is within my reach, and I can truly see myself completing 3 minutes of running.  The very first time I run for 3 minutes straight will be one of the most exciting achievements in my brief athletic history.  I can't wait! 

3 comments:

  1. You do it, girl! Get that goal! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the hard work! I used to do a similar plan when I used the treadmill, where I would run for like 5 minutes and then walk for 2 or something. It's been a while. I have since realized I don't like treadmills, but would much rather swim laps. It's been a few weeks since I've done that thougn...oops.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.