Friday, October 29, 2010

Scariest Halloween Memory

MP900313786 The only thing I ever liked about Halloween when I was a kid is that I got lots of candy.  Dressing in a costume was sorta fun, but it was really all about the candy. 

In all honesty, I have always been fearful of people in costumes.  Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  Forget about it!  Our family had several shoe stores located at malls when I was young, and when I saw Santa walk past our storefront to go on his break, I would make sure I was waaaay at the back of the store, just in case he decided to come in to browse for a pair of shoes.

So you can see why Halloween would be all about the candy for me.  It became more like a reward of survival for trudging out into the dark night with all those maniacal people who wanted to jump out and scare a poor, defenseless girl just to get a laugh.

In hearing the buzz around the blog community about Halloween movies and candy and parties, I remembered the scariest Halloween memory I have.  Just to think of it now, it still ticks me off.

I don't remember how old I was.  Maybe 12 or 13.  I was probably in junior high at the time.  Halloween was approaching, and for some reason our Baptist church put on a haunted house every year.  (I really don't know why.)  Anyways... while I was in band practice, a couple of people dressed like ghouls opened the classroom door and came in.  They started wandering around the room and getting in people's faces as some sort of promotion to go out to the haunted house.

I don't recall how close one of those costumed people got to me, but I was utterly and thoroughly FREAKED OUT!  I was actually angry.  I felt angry at whoever let them come into the classroom.  I was angry at my band director for not kicking them out for interrupting our band practice.  I was stinkin' mad that our church even had a haunted house.

You have no idea what a relief it was when they finally discontinued putting on that haunted house.  It's possible it was the very next year because I don't remember it after that time.

What's your scariest memory?  Do costumes bother anyone else?

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.