Thursday, October 28, 2010

The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament

Discovering JesusThe One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament by Nancy Guthrie

The "One Year" devotionals are written for the busy person who wants to develop a daily habit of growing in their relationship with the Lord.  This particular 365-day devotional is meant to take you through the Old Testament day by day, showing you the pictures that were meant to point us to Jesus Christ in the New Testament. 

When I was given the opportunity to review this book, I jumped on it because I enjoy seeing the symbolism that represents Christ in the Old Testament.  Some of the entries were of things I had already known, but there were plenty that were new to me.

The devotional is created in a way that you can simply start on any day of the year.  The reading covers one page, and there is a brief written prayer at the bottom concerning the aspect of Christ that was focused on in the devotion.  It would take someone about 5 minutes to sit and read the devotional for the day, thus meeting the criteria of fitting into a person's busy schedule.

The readings are sweet and something to carry in your thoughts through the day as you contemplate the character and work of the Lord Jesus.  However, there is an aspect of the devotional that I was a little disappointed with.  Although there are scripture references sprinkled throughout each devotion, including at least one scripture quoted within the text, I would expect there to be a main scripture reading provided at the heading of each day.  There is not. 

I would suggest using this devotional in addition to a daily Bible reading.  I believe it would enhance a quiet time.

Overall I would give this book 4 stars for good content that's easy to understand and for its use as a wonderful companion to any daily quiet time.

I wish to thank Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a free review copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...sounds like an interesting book. We rarely hear the connection of Jesus and the Old Testament. I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks for the honest review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.