Friday, October 08, 2010

Masquerade by Nancy Moser

Masquerade

Book Review:

Masquerade by Nancy Moser

Charlotte Gleason's parents send her away from her home in England.  They believe she will potentially marry into the very wealthy Tremaine family in America after her father's indiscretions ruin her chances for marrying well in England. 

So Charlotte and her maid Dora sail to America and begin to imagine the opportunities that this new life will open up to them, and by the time they reach America Charlotte decides to change the plan.  Rather than marrying for wealth and good standing, she desires to marry for love. 

She convinces Dora to trade identities and take her place as a potential bride for the Tremaine's son.  When they arrive in America they quickly discover that it's not at all like the world they've been accustomed to, and obstacles loom at every turn.

I had difficulty getting into this story, but it finally took off about 100 pages in.  I was surprised by all the twists and turns, and I think that's what held my attention.  I kept wondering, How is this ever going to work out?  Both Charlotte and Dora were so deep into their deception I couldn't guess how things would turn out well for either one of them.

Overall it was a good story.  It definitely challenges the reader concerning truthfulness and looking at what is important in life.

Although I felt bogged down by all the opulence of the wealthy and their fancy dresses and balls, I feel that it's more of a reader preference thing.  I do enjoy that Nancy Moser concludes her books with personal notes about how the book developed and where she got ideas for setting and characters.  So I would recommend the book, and I'm giving it 4 stars.

I wish to thank Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a free review copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.