Monday, October 18, 2010

Love's First Bloom by Delia Parr

Loves First Bloom Book Review:

Love's First Bloom by Delia Parr

Ruth Livingstone, the daughter of a minister and a woman of faith, flees town and resumes a fake name when her father is accused of murdering a prostitute.  Assuming the name Widow Ruth Malloy, her father has also entrusted her with the care of a young child who must be protected. 

Ruth struggles with keeping her secret, but she believes she can follow through with the plan for a short while for the sake of the child because she knows her father will be soon acquitted and then send for her to return home.  Although, Ruth never anticipates the tragedy that will change the plan drastically.

The book was good, although not a serious page-turner for me.  I like that it had some mystery and some romance.  I enjoyed the character of Ruth.  She was very likable.  It was touching to watch her develop her relationship with the little girl, as well as her relationship with Jake.  She went back and forth between trusting and distrusting him, and I wasn't sure how the lies and secrets were going to be resolved between them.

I have not read other books by Delia Parr prior to this, but I like her style and content.  I appreciate that her characters have faith in God, and that they view their life circumstances through the lens of their relationship with God.  It makes this historical fiction stand out from other books in this genre, and I like that.

I wish to thank Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a free review copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.