Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Dozen... Again

Do you know what day it is? If you guessed Wednesday, you're right? Since it is Wednesday, then you should know it's time for another edition of Linda's Random Dozen at 2nd Cup of Coffee. Woo Hoo!!!

1. What was the last song you listened to?

Barry Manilow singing "The Christmas Song"... Yes, I am listening to Christmas music already, but only when I'm at the office. It brings out the warm fuzzies and makes me feel nostalgic.

2. Have you ever had “buyer’s remorse” over anything?

I typically get buyer's remorse when I buy a new pair of shoes, try to wear them the next day, only to find out they pinch somewhere. Drives me nuts! It's too hard to choose a good fitting shoe in those few moments of walking up and down the aisle at the store.

3. What is something in your life that you are thankful for now that you didn’t think you would be at the time of the event? (Something that seemed ill-timed, inconvenient or hurtful which turned out to be a good thing)

I went through a painful break-up when I was in college and not one that I had chosen for myself, but I believe it was for the best. I'm sure I would've been a different person if I had remained with him. God works in mysterious ways.

4. Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade every year? If so, do you have a favorite float or balloon?

I usually have the parade turned on, but I'm always doing other things while watching it. Sometimes I'm folding laundry, surfing the internet or cooking. I really can't just sit and watch it, though. And I don't have a favorite float.

5. Share a quote, scripture, poem or lyric which has been an inspiration to you lately.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." I've been needing to meditate on this one a lot the last few weeks.

6. This is meant to be a fun question, and this is a G-rated blog, but please share a “guilty pleasure,” something that you enjoy that’s probably not the most edifying, time-worthy or healthy thing you could be indulging in. Did I mention this blog is rated G?

Oh, is this an easy one! A Starbucks PEPPERMINT MOCHA TWIST. (Sorry, Starbucks.) It is sooooo not good for me with all that sugar, but it is ooooooooh so delicious. I have to drink them sparingly.

7. What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to?

I think I most anticipate pie on Thanksgiving. It's one of the few times during the year that I eat pie. It doesn't matter what kind either, just so long as it's pie.

8. What is your favorite book to read to children, or what was your favorite childhood book?

I read "Charolotte's Web" a couple times because I enjoyed it so much. I remember being home from school in the 5th grade with a pain in my back and deciding to read the entire book that day.

9. Do you collect anything? (Feel free to post a photo.)

I used to collect Boyd's Bears and Cherished Teddies because I worked at two different gift shops early in my marriage. At this moment they are all boxed up and sitting in my loft, never seen since our move 3 years ago.

10. Gift bags or wrapping paper?

I prefer to use gift bags, but it always depends on the size of the gift and what I happen to have on hand in my gift wrap stash. Gift bags are just so convenient.

11. Share an after-school memory from when you were younger. What was your routine like on an average day?

I can't remember a specific routine, but I know I spent a lot of time playing outdoors with my friends. I was either on the swings in my backyard, playing basketball with the boy across the street, or riding my bike through the neighborhood.

12. True story: Once, in a job interview, I was asked this question and told there would be no clarifying; I simply had to answer the question: “When you’re fishing, do you feel for the fish?” So what about you? Do you feel for the fish??

When I read this question I took it to mean one thing, but I wasn't entirely certain what Linda was going for. I went and read answers from a bunch of other bloggers, and it seems some of them are uncertain as well.

I first took it to mean that when I'm trying to catch a fish, do I feel for the tug on the end of the line? If that's what you're asking, Linda, then the answer is "yes". I do feel for the tug on the end of the line.

But if you're asking me if I feel for the fish, as in, do I feel sorry for the fish? Then the answer is mostly "no". That's not to say I don't wonder what goes through the fish's mind when he's caught his mouth on that hook, but there's nothing like that feeling you get when you've caught a walleye and your friend hasn't. {winking at Judy}

4 comments:

  1. Fun answers - we have the same one for #2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many similar experiences as your #3. Amazing, isn't it, that even as we experience pain in the present, God knows that our future holds the answer to that pain.

    I'm so glad we are not in control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those fish might be thinking that this is one tough worm but I don't think they are that smart. You had some great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, guys, thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.