Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Reading Thing 2008

I'm not sure you know this about me, but I love books. Not just the words and information written within their pages, but also the feel of the covers and the smell of the pages. I'm just sort of quirky that way. I would tell you that I love reading, yet it is a discipline and I often start a book only to set it aside somewhere around chapter 3.

I used to read fiction voraciously and loved a trip to the library. I could spend an hour perusing shelves and come home with 7 books that looked interesting, only to read maybe two of them because they turned out to be duds or I just couldn't read fast enough. I admit I do judge a book by its cover.

A few years ago I left fiction behind and started hitting the non-fiction because I saw a need to learn biblical principles. I find that I am much more apt to focus spiritually, if I have a book that keeps reminding me of spiritual truths and helps me chew on them for weeks. Yet I still struggle to stick with this as well, because it really is a discipline to set aside other distractions and sit down to read a chapter.

Being the goal oriented girl that I am, I thought it would motivate me to read more by taking part in the Spring Reading Thing 2008 that is hosted at Callapidder Days, beginning on this first day of spring. It's as simple as making a reading list of books that I would like to read by the end of spring. So here is my reading list:

  • War of Words by Paul David Tripp (non-fiction) - in progress

  • God Is The Gospel by John Piper (non-fiction) - in progress

  • What Jesus Demands of the World by John Piper (non-fiction)

  • Vienna Prelude: Zion Covenant #1 by Brock & Bodie Thoene (fiction) - in progress

  • Prague Counterpoint: Zion Covenant #2 by Brock & Bodie Thoene (fiction)

  • Mozart's Sister by Nancy Moser (fiction)

  • Summer of the Midnight Sun: Alaskan Quest #1 by Tracie Peterson (fiction)
Alright. Let's see how far I get on this list.


5 comments:

  1. Mozart's sister is really really good. If you end up liking that one, I recommend Just Jane by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Zion Covenant series! You have a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked reading about your love for reading and books! And I agree about reading being a discipline -- especially when it comes to nonfiction. Thanks for being part of SRT '08! Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I second Deborah's recommendation of Just Jane I have not read Mozart's Sister yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zion Covenant! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.