Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Work of the Spirit

I'm in the middle of reading Experiencing the Spirit: The Power of Pentecost Every Day by Henry & Mel Blackaby.  Although I haven't found them to say anything new about the Holy Spirit, nothing I hadn't known already, there are some thought-provoking quotes intermingled among its pages.

Here are a few that have stirred my heart...

God isn't looking for proven leaders; He's looking for those who have hearts that are pure and responsive, and then He equips them by His Spirit to be leaders.  So hear this carefully:  The Lord is looking not for the talented, but for the obedient.  He's looking not for the skilled, but for those who are sensitive to His Spirit. (pg. 84)

...Will God ever ask you to do something you're not able to do?  The answer is yes--all the time!  It must be that way, for God's glory and kingdom....The purposes of God are based not on our ability, but upon His ability to work through us.  (pg. 7)

You must take God at His word!  Every positive response to the Lord will open up new opportunities to know Him more and more.  The more you pursue Him, the more He'll reveal Himself to you. (pg. 21)

The Holy Spirit was sent to help you achieve God's purposes, not your dreams.  And if you aren't willing to do His purposes, the Holy Spirit cannot work in you or through you. (pg 90)

I know that God is using some things in this book to speak to me.  The second quote I shared was one that particularly hit me between the eyes the day I read it.  There was a decision I needed to make about getting involved in something that is very much out of my comfort zone.  Upon reading that God will ask me to do things that I'm not able to do so He will get the glory, it was really hard to deny the truth of that statement.  I finally made the decision this week, and I am going to do this thing that's beyond my ability and out of my comfort zone.

Did you enjoy this post? Consider subscribing to my feed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you're going to go outside your comfort zone! I struggle with this too, and I'm thankful God puts people in my path to prod me along.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.