Thursday, November 18, 2010

Aging

I’m getting older. Yeah. I know that’s no surprise to you. You’re getting older too. Ha!

I just turned 38, and… I’m not kidding… my body is already changing. It’s responding differently now than it did before.

I’ve noticed in the past two weeks that my eyes are not focusing well, especially when I’m playing piano at church. I have to use my bifocals to see the notes more clearly. I’ve also noticed if people stand too close to me, their faces are fuzzy, and it hurts my head to try to focus.

And let’s not forget the new aches and pains that pop up at various times for no apparent reason.

But the one thing that has been a total surprise to me is something no one warned me about.

For several weeks I’ve been fighting the war of what I thought to be chapped lips because it’s turned colder here in Indiana. I kept applying Vaseline in the morning, in the afternoon, and at bedtime. Still… dry lips. I feel like I have an extra layer of skin that needs to be scraped off.

Uncertain why I wasn’t winning the fight, I finally asked my mother the other day, “As you age, is it possible to get dry lips?” She smiled at me and said, “Yes!”

Um… hello? Why is this the first I’m hearing of this? And why, oh why, is this starting at 38? I’m comparably young to… you know… OLD people, but my lips are already becoming defunct?

I don’t think I can handle this reality.

I hate grooming maintenance. Seriously. If I thought I could get away without brushing my teeth, I would. And now I’m being forced to look into lip treatments and moisturizers.

I guess I’ll have to work that in right after my lip tweezing.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.