Tuesday, June 29, 2010

True Womanhood: Part 2

This is the second installment of a series of posts I will be writing on the book Voices of the True Woman Movement by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  I received the book as a gift from Revive Our Hearts ministry for the sole purpose of writing my thoughts on each chapter.

Chapter 2:  From Him, Through Him, To Him by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

As I read this chapter I had thoughts and feelings that spread the gamut.  I agree with my head that God's ways are unfathomable, that His wisdom and judgements are so deep we cannot plumb their depths.  His resources never run out, and they will always exceed any need we will ever have.

My heart, though, comes from a different perspective.  My desire to know and understand the why of suffering leaves me reaching for faith.  I try not to question God in His judgements, but when life gets messy and you never imagined in a hundred years that you would be facing such hurt, the questions start coming.

Nancy quotes John Piper, In every situation and circumstance of your life, God is always doing a thousand different things that you cannot see and you do not know (pg. 34).  Can I trust and accept that God is working in ways behind the spiritual curtain that I would never mentally grasp?  Rather than ask God "why?", can I trust that the information He is withholding from me is really to my benefit?  That it may be too difficult for me to take in all the behind-the-scenes details?

It's a choice a person must make.  Either stand in pride, believing I know better than God, or humbly receive from His hand whatever He gives and trust that He knows exactly what He's doing for my good.  I'm afraid I question Him more than I care to admit.

If I want to be a true woman of God, I will see God as everything - my Source, my Sustainer and my purpose for everything.  That means no matter what I face, He is at the center of it, He will sustain me in it, and as I endure faithfully, I bring glory to Him.

Nancy goes on to share three final points:

1.  A true woman lives a God-centered life.

I love the way she describes this...

A true woman is more than a good wife and mother, a loyal friend and daughter.  More than anything else, she is enthralled with the Lord Jesus Christ--the Pearl of great price, the supreme Treasure of life.  He is the center of her universe and her life revolves around Him. (pg. 40)

2.  A true woman trusts God.

That means she accepts God's plan as good.  God's definition of "good" is not typically the same as ours.  Remember, God's judgements are unsearchable.

3.  A true woman says, "Yes, Lord."

A true woman recognizes that her life is not her own.  She lives instead for the glory of God.  His Word, not her world, becomes her compass. (pg. 43)

If I want to be a true woman, my life will revolve around God.  Not my feelings.  Not my understanding of a given situation.  Not what I think I do or do not deserve.  I will be centered on bringing glory to the Father.

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! "For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?" "Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?" For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.  ~Romans 11:33-36 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.