This is the first installment of a series of posts I will be writing on the book Voices of the True Woman Movement by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I received the book as a gift from Revive Our Hearts ministry for the sole purpose of writing my thoughts on each chapter.
The Ultimate Meaning of True Womanhood by John Piper (Chapter 1)
The exhortation presented to the reader is to listen to the voice of God, rather than the voices of our culture that we are bombarded with daily from all forms of media (TV, pop music, advertising, magazines, etc...).
I think you would agree with me that our culture would identify a "real woman" as being gutsy, able to stand up for herself, and not in need of anyone or anything to give her value. In contrast, though, the Bible teaches a radically different truth. The Bible says a real woman, true womanhood, demonstrates the qualities of Christ, which are nothing like the "real woman" of the world. She is reliant on the mercy and grace of God alone for adversity in her life.
A woman who embraces true womanhood as taught in the scriptures is one whose theology is God-centered, not man- (or woman-) centered. Her sole purpose will be to reflect the glory of God. Just as God the Son showed forth the greatest glory when He submitted to God the Father's plan and "bought His rebellious bride at the cost of His life", a true woman will show forth God's glory as she takes on her role of submission to her husband and ultimately to God.
Scripture teaches that a marriage where the husband assumes headship and the wife submits as a helper to him is a picture of Christ and His bride, the church. When women submit to their God-given role, they bring glory to God. (Ephesians 5:22-24)
In the same respect, true womanhood in singles is not to be downplayed but rather celebrated as well, because Piper says it gives them a "radical freedom" for ministry. I love the three reasons he states for the unique and precious way singles can show forth God's glory:
- A life of Christ-exalting singleness bears witness that the family of God grows not by propagation through sexual intercourse, but by regeneration through faith in Christ.
- A life of Christ-exalting singleness bears witness that relationships in Christ are more permanent, and more precious, than relationships in families.
- A life of Christ-exalting singleness bears witness that marriage is temporary, and finally gives way to the relationship to which it was pointing all along: Christ and the church -- the way a picture is no longer needed when you see face-to-face. (quoted from Chapter 1, pgs. 23-24)
I believe that as we choose to live counter-culture as wives, mothers, singles -- women -- who submit to the true womanhood of the Bible, our roles are made holy because we are living out the purpose we were intended and created for.
Are you and I willing to embrace true womanhood in order that we glorify God? We will if we love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.
- Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
- Follow me on Twitter or Facebook
- Join my BlogFrog Community discussion