Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Possession" by Rene Gutteridge

Possession Detective Vance Graegan worked the D.C. sniper case, and it changed him forever.  Taking a toll on his life and marriage, he and his wife Lindy decide to make a fresh start and move to California to open a deli.  They can finally put the police work and the baggage that came with it behind them.

Except maybe it's not as easy as they thought it might be. 

Upon arriving in California, Lindy finds a condo to rent and a possible building to lease for their deli, but when the movers arrive with all of their belongings, they demand a ransom of the Graegans before they will give them their possessions.  Vance's past is fast catching up with him.

I do enjoy Rene Gutteridge's books, but I struggled to care about these main characters until toward the end of the book.  The plot of the story kept me reading, though.  It was unique to anything I've read before.  I also like fast-paced suspense, and I had this one read in two days.

My only complaint of the book is the lack of any character having a relationship with Christ.  The Graegans' son prayed all the time because of something he learned on TV one day while watching a televangelist, and then prayer becomes the moral of the story.  The problem with that concept is that there's no mention in the book about how to have a personal relationship with Christ.  People can pray all they want, but if they don't have Christ as Savior, it's basically meaningless.  I just feel that the story was sorely lacking any depth in this area.

Aside from that, I still liked the plot and the suspense.  I'm giving this book 4 stars.

Click here to read the first chapter.

I wish to thank Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a free copy to review.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed here are my own.

  • Subscribe to my blog by Email or Feed Reader
  • Follow me on Twitter

    Share/Bookmark 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.