Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Discipline of Reading

I am crazy about books and have a shelf-full waiting for me right now, but at the same time I am undisciplined about reading them. That's something I don't understand about myself, and that's probably one of the many reasons why I am self-described as complex.

I love to smell books, feel their smooth covers, and will judge them by their covers nine times out of ten. So when I joined Goodreads.com a few months ago and then found PaperBackSwap.com shortly after that, I think I was doomed from the get-go.

My list of books under the to-read header is now up to 44. How will I ever manage? That number is split between novels and biblical non-fiction, both genres of which I try be reading at all times. If this keeps up, I will just have to turn off the TV and read during every spare moment I get, especially because I keep finding more interesting books and adding them to my list. Not that turning off the TV would even be a bad thing. (Do I really need to watch one more episode of House Hunters to see which house the clients choose? It only makes me want to buy a new house anyways.)

That's where the undisciplined part comes in. I know that there are lots of times I could be reading, but I've either got the blahs, want to watch HGTV, feel lazy, or just don't have the zip to open the book. The silly part is that I know once I just begin reading, I'll get into it. So I guess it really comes down to making a conscious choice to DO IT.

Are you a voracious reader? Do you find it comes natural, or do you have to discipline yourself?

1 comment:

  1. I've SO fallen down on this. A combination of night finding a book that I really want to get into and summer laziness. I do hope to pick it back up this evening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.