Thursday, June 04, 2009

Book Review - "Experiencing The Spirit: The Power of Pentecost Every Day"

Experiencing the Spirit: The Power of Pentecost Every Day Experiencing the Spirit: The Power of Pentecost Every Day by Henry Blackaby

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
Being the first time I've read anything by the Blackabys, I didn't know what to expect. Well, I wasn't disappointed. At the beginning it didn't seem as if they conveyed new information about the Holy Spirit. I already knew the things they were teaching about; it just seemed to be put into a fresh package.  That was fine, and I was content in just getting a little "refresher course" on the Holy Spirit.

As I got further into the book, though, that changed. I was convicted over my disregard for the Holy Spirit's work in my life, and I was challenged to take a hard look at the many times I've shut the door on God's assignments for me. God will not give us big things to do, if we won't do the small stuff. It makes me wonder what I've missed out on by saying, "No, Lord. I can't."

They discuss spiritual gifts and using them, the importance of relationship with God, what the Holy Spirit's work looked like in Jesus' life and in the disciples, and the need for our full surrender. I can't say that I am in full agreement with their position on determining your spiritual gifts, and it's something I'm still thinking about. All in all, though, I found it to be challenging and stirring. It's definitely worth reading a second time and sharing with friends.

View all my reviews.

Did you enjoy this post? Consider subscribing to my feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love comments! I'll reply to you here or in an email, unless you have your email option turned off.